Thomas becomes NIA’s 5th Director General.
The Governing Council of the Nigerian Insurers Association (NIA), approved the appointment of Mr. Thomas Olorundare Sunday as new Director-General of the Association with effect from May 1st 2010. His appointment followed the retirement of Mr. Ezekiel O. Chiejina who retired after serving the Association for eight years.
Prior to his appointment, Mr. Thomas worked as a Director in charge of the Inspectorate Directorate at the National Insurance Commission from 1992 until December 2009 when he retired. Before his engagement at the Commission he had worked in the Insurance industry for over 10years where he rose to the position of Assistant General Manager at AIICO Insurance Plc and left in 1992.
During his working years at the Commission, he headed various departments including Technical Life, Research and Market Development and Inspectorate.
Mr. Thomas is an Insurance Professional with a BSc (Hons) in Actuarial Science and also an MBA Finance all from the University of Lagos.
He is an active participant in the Insurance Industry activities and has been involved in many of the Insurance Industry and the Financial Sector Committees some of which are as follows:
- Member, Committee on the Review of the 1997 Insurance Act.
- Member , Education Committee of the Chartered Insurance Institute of Nigeria
- Chairman, National Planning Committee of the Annual Seminar on the Development of the Nigerian Financial Markets : 2002 – Date
- Chairman, National Planning Committee of the Annual Seminar on Economic and Financial Crime : 2002 – 2005
- Member, governing board of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission 2003 - 2004
- Member, Inter Agency Executive Committee on the Delisting of Nigeria from the FATF list of Non-Cooperative Countries and Territories
He has attended many courses and conferences both locally and internationally some of which include those organized by the Lagos Business School, The AIO, World bank, International Association of Insurance Supervisors (IAIS), UNCTAD and the Leadership Centre in Toronto, Canada.
He is a resource person and also a visiting Lecturer at the West Africa Insurance Institute (WAII), The Gambia.
Mr. Thomas is a believer and an ardent Lawn Tennis player. He is happily married with children.